Oh my goodness, have I got a taste treat for you! Who would have thought this vegetable could be so appealing and so tasty?!
Turns out you can basically call anything “mac and cheese” with enough cheese sauce covering it. Please do yourselves a favor and go make this right now. You can thank me later.
Serves 8Amount Per 1-cup serving:
- 8 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
2. Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.