6 week update

Today marks the last day of week 6.  Tomorrow I cruise onto week 7.  I’ve decided to do weekly postings at the end of each week of pregnancy to document exactly what I’ve been through in that week.  Seems more appropriate than starting at the beginning of a week.  This week has been monumental for numerous reasons.  Let’s start with last Tuesday.  Well, 9/6/2011 marked being pregnant for exactly one week longer than last time!  We were pretty stoked about that idea.  That being said, I felt HORRIBLE last week.  I mean terrible.  I didn’t throw up and still have yet to do so but I am in a constant state of nausea.  Not even eating is helping anymore.  It’s just a constant feeling like I’m going to throw up.  I think many “normal” people in my condition would have already puked several times by now but I’m so terrified of throwing up that I will, at any cost, keep from doing this.  I remember Tuesday was just a milestone to get through work.  Thank goodness my boss wasn’t in that day so I did end up leaving  a tad bit early.  Wednesday I still felt like complete crap but managed to force myself to walk the dog after work.  I have been getting NO exercise in which is freaking me out.  Even walking seems like a completely impossible task sometimes.  Now for the good stuff….

Thursday.  We got to sleep in on Thursday due to our FIRST ultrasound!!!  It felt so good to sleep in.  I didn’t want to get out of bed because I knew the minute that I would, I’d start feeling sick.  Sure enough…Sick.  So I made waffles and then took the dog on a 3 mile walk.  It did NOT feel good at all but it’s what I wanted to do.  When I got back I quickly got ready for the ultrasound and work afterwards.  When we got to the doctor we were pretty much seen right away.  We went back to a dark ultrasounds room.  It was actually pretty funny to see my husband totally freak out when I got completely naked from the waste down.  He was pretty sure I was not supposed to be so exposed.  Little did he know….

The ultrasound tech and a student came in to do the ultrasound.  Sure enough, it was a vaginal ultrasound and so they HAD to get up my hoo-ha to see what was going on.  Chad was alarmed and shocked that this is what an early ultrasound was like.  I think he always imagined them being a ultrasounds with goo and bellies.  Never this invasive.  Luckily I had already done one of these a few months prior when I had my miscarriage so I knew it was coming.

Next the ultrasound tech. went straight in and almost immediately says “I see kiddos.”  Very VERY nonchalantly.  Now, I was sort of expecting this too as my ob had told me a few weeks ago that my hcg levels looked “twin-ish” but nothing can prepare you for what we were about to find out for real.  Chad asked her to back up and says “wait, kiddos?!  As in TWO!?”  And she said “yes, there are two in there.”   I remember just saying “what the fu**” and I am pretty sure chad said “sh**”.  The next thing I new I knew, Chad was grabbing my hands and squeezing them.  I’m not sure if he was tearing up but I sure was.  This was either a beautiful thing that I was so proud of or complete and utter terror.  Either way I was crying.  I wasn’t sure what to think next.  Both of us just had a “no way” look on our faces throughout the rest of the ultrasound.  Of course the tech and student both congratulated us.  We just kept responding “thanks?” as if we weren’t sure if this was supposed to be a moment of congratulatory remarks or a moment in which to create an upheaval and yell inappropriate remarks about how this could happen.  We were then left alone to get dressed and embraced each other.  While we were both in shock we also took the news in stride and were very happy.  The u/s tech came back with photos of the babies and we each were able to get a copy.  As of that moment we were proud owners of our first picture with Baby A and Baby B.

We then met with my doc. who was so incredibly surprised.  We asked a few questions but really got no definitive answers.  I am guessing that they can’t really do anything for you until after week 12.  Right now we are just in the waiting game.  I’m pretty scared still every time I use the restroom preparing myself to see blood every time I wipe.  Every wipe that there is no blood, I am thankful for.

After the ultrasound and meeting with the doc. we discussed how we were going to tell our families.  They already knew that we were pregnant as we didn’t want to hold anything back this time or make a big deal out of this one knowing that we could just as easily loose this one.  We kept it pretty low key when telling our parents with a quick phone call and a “I got another positive pregnancy test”.  So with this news we wanted to do something big.  We decided to skype with our families and before skyping we would email them the pic. of the ultrasound.  We wanted to watch their reactions as they opened the email and figured it out for themselves what was going on.  Thursday was one of the longest days of my life because I was just so excited to get home and tell our news to everyone.

We had a skype date first with Chad’s parents.  The times were a bit confused.  We thought we had made it for 6pm when they thought 6:30pm.  So waiting with baited breath we called only to find no one on the other end.  Chad called his dad and realized they were still out biking and thought the date was at 6:30.  Great…Who else can we call asap!!?  Chad’s sister…We called her and she was JUST sitting down to dinner.  Ugh.  So I called my mom and asked her where she was.  She was.  She was close!  I told her to stop by to see the picture. She rushed over and we showed her the twins.  I had told her and the rest of my family about my abnormally high risking hcg levels so she sort of already suspected it was twins but non the less she was thrilled.  The next call was finally to Chad’s parents who knew nothing.  We got on the call with them and made small talk for a bit while we waited patiently for them to open the email of the sonogram.  FINALLY they got it and opened it…We sat and watched their faces as they opened the email and just ooed and awed our little babies.  Turns out they had NO idea there were two there.  They were very focused on “baby b”.  As they kept commenting on how lovely baby b was.  Then Chad asked them to look closer and see if there was anything else…SCREAMS of joy and laughter and shock arose as they realized that there were TWO little bubbles in the picture.  I know that their reaction to this news will forever be one of my favorite memories of them.  Pretty sure Chad and I got teary at this point too.  His sister was next and had a more panicked shocked reaction.  It was hilarious.  She just kept asking “are you serious!?”.  She called her husband in the room to take a look and he just started laughing.  They had pretty great reactions as well.  The next call was to my brother.  He opened the email and didn’t even study the picture.  He immediately said “wow, so you’re having twins”.  Again, he already knew there may be a slight chance of that happening.  Because my dad is completely computer illiterate, my mom had to facilitate him opening up his email.  His reaction “cool, twins”.  He later called the next morning and told me the news hadn’t quite hit him but that he was also thrilled at the prospect of having not one but two grandchildren.

I am assuming this is why I have felt crappy since about week 5.  My doctor prescribed me some Zofran to help ease my nausea.  I’m a little nervous to take it as I don’t want to do anything to harm my babies but the time came where the morning sickness felt so bad on Thursday night and all day Friday and then again on Saturday morning that I couldn’t take it any longer.  I scarfed a pill and decided it was shear joy and magic.  I’m in love with what my husband has named “Zo-friend”.  I am trying not to take it often, only when I absolutely need it (again, today was one of those days as I’m back at work and can barely get through the day).  I’m hoping that I can do it every other day.  I did get to work out on the elliptical for almost an hour both Sat. and Sun. this weekend because of the stuff.  I’m not sure how I’m going to work out anymore during a workday though unless I take time off.  I can’t stomach it in the morning, not enough time or equipment at lunch, and I’m too tired at night.  Hey at least I have the morning sickness under control!  Now, if I can just stop leaving my pills at home and forgetting to take them I’ll be on a semi-close path to success.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s